Elizabeth Ashley

I used to hang out with Elizabeth, We were great friends. Eating at the underground railroad and drinking at the 22. She usually stayed at the Windsor Arms. We would ride around in her limousine supplied by the movie company smoking weed and snorting you know what. She was married to a buddy of mine so we were mainly friends came close a couple of times. She got in trouble over a couple of late nights with me that night I ended up when everybody left lying on her belly while she shoved cocaine up my nose. I have trouble telling that one.
. I wasn't exactly heartbroken when she broke up with my buddy but I was when she got busted at the border and could't come to Canada anymore. Anyway this is a good article she is a brainy broad and a lot of good lines . we laughed a lot. Elizabeth and I hung out quite a bit.
     

A great Canadian Railway HotelStory

Paperback Hero (1973)was a Canadian Movie shot in  Delisle, Saskatchewan,
It was about A hockey player in a small town begins to lose his grip on reality, and starts to believe that he is a gunslinger in the Old West.
3 of my really great friends worked on the movie -Franz Russel, and Elizabeth Ashley and Jim McCarthy (Who later married)
Franz and Jim shared a room at the CN hotel.After an evening of drinking at the bar Jim and Franz returned to the room and Franz felt like a nosh and called room service.
"Do you have Eggs Benidict"he asked"?. No sir we dont was the reply. So  Franz hung up and called the CP Hotel across the street. "Do you make Eggs Benidict? he asked again. Yes Sir was the reply. The CP Hotel was glad to oblige and soon a waiter carried a silver service across the streetm through the lobby and up the elevator to their room.

Director: Peter Pearson
Writers: Barry Pearson, Les Rose
Stars: Keir Dullea, Elizabeth Ashley,

No comments:

Hi I am Gary LeDrew
And I am writing a book
I was lucky enough to be in the middle of most things in sixties and seventies and got to hang out with some of the greats and near greats and characters of that time.

I was involved in the Art scene and was friends and hung out with Jack Bush, Harold Town, Gord Rayner Robert markle, Mickey Handy, Gerry Gladstone, Gershon Iskowitz etc. etc. and I have stories about all of them.
I was in the music biz and managed a few bands like Kid Bastien and hung out with most of them. I was a close friend of Murray McLachlan for years, and hung out with Mike McDonald, Danny Marks, Praire Oyster, Irish Rebels, Downchilds, Ian Tyson, Tom Cochrane, Burton Cummins etc. etc. of course I was the Lobsterman and sang with McLean and Mclean. I hung out with Cannonball and Nat Adderly whenever they came to town.
I was Toronto's leading bootlegger for 5 years everybody came to my afterhours club from the Rolling Stones to the premier of New Brunswick. And Joanie Mitchell sang there.
I won an Actress in a poker game, Helen shaver cooked me supper and I went out with a bunch of models and actresses.
Lesley McDonnell introduced me to Leonard Cohen , Rod Steward and Paul Shaffer for a few. I hung out with Leonard for a while. I survived a night hanging out with Hunter S. Thompson (sitting with tom Waites)I basically had backstage passes to Maple Leaf Gardens and Massey hall whenever i wanted and Bonnie Rait kicked me out of her dressing room.
In the Movie biz I was friends with Mike Ironside for years and Winston Reckert, Catherine O'Hara, Michael Sarrazin,I have lain on Elizabeth Ashely's belly while she shoved coke up my nose. I showed Johnny Hart and Jack Caprio a good time. I took Howard Duff to Lunch everyday for a six weeks and was on his xmas card list until he died. I drank with Richard Burton at least a couple of times a week for 3 months and he told me everything.
I lived on a lighthouse as a kid and took off sailing in the caribbean for 15 months. I took and sold all manners of drugs and in the seventies I was The guy to know in Toronto.
I was one of the few white guys go to the Elephant walk club. If there is one thing I hope to dispel is Toronto as a dull place.
To business I am getting old and not in great health, I am living on a basic pension and I have to Hustle with my art and web sites most of the month to get by. I am afraid I might die before I get all these stories down
My friend Richard Flohil is also raising money to write his book so far over ten thousand and well deserved Richard was instrumental to the folk and blues and jazz scenes in Toronto and tells a good story too. In my own way I was too, I helped a lot of people along the way and I never really cared about money , you wouldn't believe the people that never paid their bar tabs for starters. i just might be a little more fearless in my admissions. For I am not ashamed of anything I did there is lots I wish I had never done.